The Home of Robby and Ginny Brown: 801 Gardner Street
Our home was built for Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Dixon in 1939. Thomas W. Cooper was the architect. The home originally faced Van Dyke Street and had approximately 1100 square feet. The house had two bedrooms, kitchen, dining room (with bay window), a heater room, and one bathroom. The house had a terrace on the front, and a porch on the back which led to the garage, with a gravel floor. The exterior was brick. Interestingly, what is now ‘Gardner Street’ was refered to as ‘Daughtridge Street’ at one point on the plans, but that was scratched out and it was referred to as ‘West Street’. The parallel street across the creek (now Fairall) was referred to as ‘East Street’. Today, the house has 2300 square feet and faces Gardner Street. It has an open plan kitchen, dining, and living room, three bedrooms, 2 full baths, 1 ½ bath, hardwood floors, a front porch, and a deck off the master bedroom with a hot tub. After hiring two contractors and a couple of backhoes, the bamboo was finally removed from the backyard, unearthing many beautiful and unusual plants which we were unable to salvage. We added a slate patio off the dining room. We have a two car garage. The base of the home has the original bricks, and bricks in the kitchen and dining room. A “sun-like” room is on the end of the house facing Van Dyke Street.
We have lived here eleven years and enjoy the proximity to Cameron Village and Hillsborough Street. The neighborhood is pleasant for walking our dog, Satchmo, a Dachshund. Thanks for the “yard of the month”, the daffodils are blooming and spring has sprung.
Ginny & Rob Brown